Winter is here and its nice to light up those appliances such as a wood stove or a certain kind of a heater, but with that you need to make sure your safe too.With the cold season here please make sure your appliances have been checked.
Here are some tips from the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) to avoid Chimney fires or some dangerous situations-
- Have your install done by a professional, if Possible.
- Make sure your heating equipment is allowed in your community.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from your fireplace or wood stove.
- Have your chimney, fireplace, or wood stove inspected and cleaned every fall just before heating season.
- Burn only dry, well-seasoned wood that has been split, stacked and allowed to dry for 12 months.
- Have a sturdy screen on your fireplace, and allow ashes to cool before disposing of them in a METAL container.
- Install fire and carbon monoxide alarms in your home and ensure they are in working order.